Creating opportunities for success and independence with people who are blind or visually impaired. That's our mission! We rely on our people to make that happen. Therefore, we recruit people who are committed to making a difference in their own lives and the lives of others. Whether it's providing comprehensive vision rehabilitation services to consumers, producing high quality paper products, operating a hospital switchboard, or performing administrative services, our employees are members of a team committed to excellence!
We know our employees are our most important asset. So, while we have high expectations, we also support our team members and encourage personal and professional growth - in and through AVRE. We live our mission and take pride in the fact that we engage and advance people who are blind or visually impaired at all levels of the organization!
We think AVRE is a great place to work. Browse through our website and learn why AVRE may be the right place for you!
AVRE's Business Division presents an array of employment opportunities for people who are blind or visually impaired. We work with our employees to match their skill set and personal goals with the agency's business needs. We encourage all employees to pursue continuing education opportunities within and outside of the organization. National Industries for the Blind offers a variety of work-related programs to help individuals thrive in their careers. AVRE also offers tuition assistance and employee scholarships to pursue post-secondary degrees and certifications.
Opportunities in manufacturing include:
- machine operation
- assembly and packaging
- shipping and receiving
Production Manager Luigi DiRusso has been with AVRE for 10 years. Luigi has progressed from an entry level position to the team lead for one of AVRE’s busiest departments. Luigi now oversees all manufacturing departments as Production Manager. It is clear Luigi wants to continue growing as a leader. He has shown the interest and ability to lead others in AVRE’s unique environment and has the potential to be promoted to higher level positions.
There's never a dull moment in the Light Assembly department! AVRE takes on a variety of unique projects commercially and through state and federal set aside programs. Current projects include repackaging Goody hair products for sale in military commissaries abroad and packaging batteries for the New York City Housing Authority. We've put together educational kits for the New York Teacher's Association and packaged environmentally friendly cleaning products for sale in the state and federal markets. AVRE's business development team is always working to identify and meet the needs of its current and potential customers.
AVRE contracts to manage switchboard operations at three Veterans Administration Medical Centers downstate - Montrose, Castle Point, and the Bronx. Operators are responsible for all incoming calls, including relaying all emergencies to the appropriate parties. They also monitor many hospital alarms with the use of adaptive, audio equipment. Adaptive technology is critical to successfully running this operation. Each operator's needs are accounted for so that each can perform their jobs at the highest quality level. Collectively and individually, our operators have received awards and recognitions for their commitment to excellence in the workplace. They're proud to be a part of the community that assists American veterans!
Continue through our website and learn why AVRE may be the right place for you!
AVRE is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and as such affirms the right of every person to participate in all aspects of employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department via phone at 607-724-2428 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
A competitive hourly wage or annual salary is just a part of financial stability and quality of life. Health insurance, retirement plans, and paid time off help to secure your family's well-being and peace of mind. At AVRE, we believe that a comprehensive benefits package is key to recruiting and keeping the best and most dedicated people.
Benefits available for eligible employees
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Paid holidays
- Paid family leave
- Paid personal time off
- Paid volunteer time
- Paid bereavement time
- NYS Short-term disability
- Tuition reimbursement
- Scholarships for employees and their families
- 403(b) plan and employer contribution
- Supplemental life insurance
- Discounts on home and auto insurance
A very important aspect of quality of life is where you live, work, and relax. If you have a family, good schools are crucial to your kids' education and future success. Affordable, quality housing can often make or break a decision to relocate to a new area. Binghamton, NY and the surrounding municipalities offer a wide range of housing options, good public transportation, and a wide variety of places to relax and enjoy you're free time.
Here's a list of some of the best reasons to relocate to this area with some links to provide more detail.
- Affordable, high-quality higher education at Binghamton University and Broome Community College
- Professional hockey (Binghamton Devils) - and baseball (Rumble Ponies) teams and NCAA Division 1 college sports
- A variety of cultural offerings, including local opera, off-Broadway shows, museums, musical performers, and art galleries
- A professional golf tournament and cycling event
- Plentiful and accessible state, county, and city parks
- Good public transportation, including paratransit and BC Country
- Pedestrian friendly downtown with numerous Accessible Pedestrian Signals and expanding walking trails
- Good schools that offer advanced placement courses, International Baccalaureate programs, and solid arts and music programs
- The confluence of the Susquehanna and Chenango rivers
- Within a three hour drive (or bus ride!) from popular urban areas - New York City, Philadelphia, Albany, and Rochester. Also close to the Finger Lakes Region and the Adirondack State Park.
You can learn more about our area by visiting the Greater Binghamton Chamber of Commerce. We think you'll find that AVRE's surrounding community is a great place to begin a new career!
Giving back to the community - Working at AVRE is not just a job. It's an opportunity to help create meaningful jobs and provide comprehensive vision rehabilitation services to people who are blind or visually impaired throughout AVRE's broad service territory.
Commitment to quality - In all aspects of the agency, quality work is valued and encouraged, whether it's manufacturing a product, answering a patient call, or teaching safe travel skills. We're focused on consumer and customer satisfaction!
Skill enhancement - In order to meet our high quality standards, AVRE offers training opportunities to enhance existing skills and to learn new ones. Employees are encouraged to find opportunities to cross train and learn about different positions within the organization.
Adaptability - We know that every employee's needs are unique and we make every accommodation possible to ensure that individuals have the tools to do their jobs to the highest standards! We offer technology, physical adaptations, and training to fit each employee's needs!
Being part of a team - Everyone at AVRE understands that a vision disability doesn't need to stand in the way of personal and professional accomplishments. We embrace our differences and work together to focus on each other's strengths. As a team, we do what's necessary to get the job done and to help eachother succeed.
Room to grow - We're always looking for growth opportunities so we can create more meaningful jobs for people who are blind or visually impaired. New projects mean new opportunities for higher level jobs and advancement. We're proud to employ people who are blind at ALL levels of the organization!
Great benefits - AVRE offers a comprehensive fringe benefits package to all eligible employees. We're committed to empowering people to live productive, independent lives and we know how valuable benefits like health insurance, retirement plans, and tuition assistance can be to meeting financial goals.
At AVRE, the whole is greater than the sum of our parts. Team work, camaraderie, and a sense of belonging make it a pleasure to come to work each day. Continue through the website to learn more!
View Current Openings
If you've determined AVRE is the place for you, check out our current openings below to find an opportunity that interests you. If you have any questions about a position or the application process, feel free to call our Human Resources department at 607-724-2428.
Health and Rehabilitation Services
Vision Rehabilitation Therapist
The Association for Vision Rehabilitation and Employment, Inc. (AVRE) seeks a Vision Rehabilitation Therapist to work with people in the Southern Tier of New York who are blind or visually impaired. The VRT will join a team of dedicated professionals committed to working with people who are visually impaired to live successful and independent lives. AVRE assists approximately 2,000 individuals annually through provision of itinerant services. Dually credentialed VRT/O&M candidates are welcomed. Legally blind candidates are encouraged to apply.
ASSOCIATION FOR VISION REHABILITATION AND EMPLOYMENT, INC.
Orientation and Mobility Specialist
The Association for Vision Rehabilitation and Employment, Inc. (AVRE) seeks an Orientation and Mobility Specialist (O&M) to work with people in the Southern Tier of New York who are blind or visually impaired. The O&M will join a team of dedicated professionals committed to working with people who are visually impaired to live successful and independent lives. AVRE assists approximately 2,000 individuals annually through provision of itinerant services. Dually credentialed VRT/O&M candidates are welcomed. Legally blind candidates are encouraged to apply.
ASSOCIATION FOR VISION REHABILITATION & EMPLOYMENT, INC. (AVRE, Inc.)
Fundraising and Development
Director of Development
The Association for Vision Rehabilitation and Employment, Inc. (AVRE) seeks candidates for the position of Director of Development. The Director of Development is responsible for building and enhancing relationships with current donors and prospects.
ASSOCIATION FOR VISION REHABILITATION AND EMPLOYMENT, INC.
I JOB IDENTIFICATION
A. TITLE: Director of Development
B. REPORTS TO: President/CEO
II STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
The Director of Development is responsible for building and enhancing relationships with current donors and prospects. The Director of Development will work independently, with senior staff, and the Foundation Board of Directors. The Director of Development will play a key role in organizing and leading a major and planned gifts program and in securing private philanthropic gifts in support of AVRE’s mission. The Director of Development will execute AVRE’s Integrated Fundraising Plan.
III RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE WORK OF OTHERS
Supervisory responsibility for departmental staff.
IV BUSINESS COMMUNICATIONS
- Communication with the CEO is frequent.
- Communication with Marketing staff is frequent.
- Communication with the Foundation Board is regular.
- Communication with Leadership Team is regular.
V SUPERVISION REQUIRED
The incumbent is expected to act and function independently within the parameters defined by the President/CEO and the Board of Directors.
VI EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- A Bachelor’s degree in Fundraising Management, Philanthropic Studies, Public Administration, or a related field is required. CFRE credentials preferred.
- At least five years of related experience identifying, cultivating, and soliciting major and planned gifts.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, public speaking, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with donor databases, e.g. Network for Good and RaisersEdge.
- Experience in researching and completing grant opportunities.
- Comfortable building working relationships with individuals and businesses relative to fundraising, as well as representing AVRE to the community.
VII SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in identifying donor prospects with the financial capacity to make major and planned gifts.
- Formulate strategies for building relationships with individual and foundation donor prospects.
- Prime for planning, coordinating and executing fundraising events e.g. Dining in the Dark and Nine at Night.
- Support Board members and the CEO in making introductions and securing major and planned gifts.
- Solicit major gifts of $1,000 or more and arrange for planned gifts from appropriate prospects.
- Support and lead stewardship of current and future donors.
- Lead Annual and special Appeals
- Maintain and enhance donor data base.
- Research, write, and steward foundation proposals as appropriate.
- Provide resource support for the Foundation Board of Directors as needed.
- Prepare and deliver reports to the Foundation Board and board committees.
- Build relationships with individuals and businesses across AVRE’s nine county service territory.
- Provide ongoing support for all AVRE advancement activities as needed.
- Participate in committees and complete special projects as appropriate.
- Participate in ongoing professional development activities.
- Travel as needed to fulfill job responsibilities.
- Keeps workplace organized and clean
To apply, click here.
Association for Vision Rehabilitation and Employment, Inc., 174 Court St., Binghamton, NY 13901 (607)724-2428