Charles V. Costello Memorial Scholarship
In 2002, Mrs. Beverly Costello and AVRE established the Charles V. Costello Memorial Scholarship Program to honor the memory and contributions of her husband, Charles. A long-time board member of AVRE, Mr. Costello was a community leader who encountered vision loss later in life.
Each year, AVRE endeavors to award one or more scholarships to legally blind or visually impaired post-high school students. The intent is to offer one or more scholarships of at least $500.
Applicants must be legally blind or visually impaired and be attending or accepted to an accredited training school or institution of higher learning. Students pursuing degrees in the science, technology or business fields are especially encouraged to apply. All degree levels will be considered. Applicants must also be residents of or attending a school in any of the New York and Pennsylvania counties served by the Association.
All qualified individuals are encouraged to contact the Association for more details and a brochure that specifies eligibility, deadlines and application procedures. Awards are intended to be made in the summer for the following fall semester.
We are pleased to announce our Scholarship winner for 2019!
Christina lives in Cortland, NY. She is currently attending Ithaca College to obtain a Master’s Degree in Occupational Therapy.
Previous Scholarship Winners
- 2015: Cayla Demoski, Jennifer Ocana
- 2014: Samantha Wackford
- 2013: Steve Reidy
- 2012: Michael Forzano, Steve Reidy
- 2011: Jaclyn Horvath, David Briggs, Anthony Gerchaman
- 2010: Jaclyn Horvath, Matthew Gibbons, Nina Bektic-Marrero
- 2009: Jiyan Omar, Nina Bektic-Marrero, Stephen Comency
- 2008: Ronda Girardi, Matthew Gibbons
- 2007: Stephen Comency, German Fermin, Ronda Girardi
- 2006: Krystal Baker, Adam Drake
- 2005: Michael Byce, Kirstin Lauther, Pete Zarubin and Terry Kozak
- 2004: Aaron Baier and Terry Kozak
- 2003: Brianna Cook, Amy Orshal and Adam Drake
- 2002: Suzanne Leathers and Terry Gonyou
Contributions to the Scholarship Fund are greatly appreciated and acknowledged.
Additional Scholarships Available
The National Federation of the Blind of New York State, Inc. also has a Scholarship program. For information regarding requirements, award amounts and the application process, please contact Catherine Mendez at firstname.lastname@example.org.